creating Ubuntu chroot becomes easier - ubuntu-archive-keyring package in Debian

Hi, I've just uploaded ubuntu-keyring source package to Debian (its RFP was posted in 26th Dec 2007 - wow 6 years ago) and it was accepted quickly (thanks to ftpmasters :-)

If you're using Debian as primary environment and need to rebuild package for Ubuntu, you'd create Ubuntu pbuilder/cowbuilder/chroot environment on your box. But you'll get an error as below.
henrich@hp:~ $ sudo cowbuilder --create --distribution saucy --mirror http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu --basepath /var/cache/pbuilder/saucy
 -> Invoking pbuilder
  forking: pbuilder create --buildplace /var/cache/pbuilder/saucy --mirror http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu --distribution saucy --no-targz --extrapackages cowdancer
I: Running in no-targz mode
I: Distribution is saucy.
I: Current time: Mon Dec 30 01:00:05 JST 2013
I: pbuilder-time-stamp: 1388332805
I: Building the build environment
I: running debootstrap
/usr/sbin/debootstrap
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Release.gpg
I: Checking Release signature
E: Release signed by unknown key (key id 3B4FE6ACC0B21F32)
E: debootstrap failed
W: Aborting with an error
pbuilder create failed
  forking: rm -rf /var/cache/pbuilder/saucy 

"E: Release signed by unknown key (key id 3B4FE6ACC0B21F32)", because your system doesn't know about Ubuntu release key. Okay, then "$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-archive-keyring" and add "--debootstrapopts "--keyring /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg"" option to cowbuilder.
henrich@hp:~ $ sudo cowbuilder --create --distribution saucy --mirror http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu --basepath /var/cache/pbuilder/saucy --debootstrapopts "--keyring=/usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg"
 -> Invoking pbuilder
  forking: pbuilder create --debootstrapopts --keyring=/usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg --buildplace /var/cache/pbuilder/saucy --mirror http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu --distribution saucy --no-targz --extrapackages cowdancer
I: Running in no-targz mode
I: Distribution is saucy.
I: Current time: Mon Dec 30 01:06:30 JST 2013
I: pbuilder-time-stamp: 1388333190
I: Building the build environment
I: running debootstrap
/usr/sbin/debootstrap
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Release.gpg
I: Checking Release signature
I: Valid Release signature (key id 790BC7277767219C42C86F933B4FE6ACC0B21F32)
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
I: Checking component main on http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu...
I: Retrieving apt 0.9.9.1~ubuntu3
I: Validating apt 0.9.9.1~ubuntu3
I: Retrieving base-files 6.12ubuntu4
(snip)
Good :)

note: Just add "--keyring" option (--keyring /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg) doesn't work as expected, bug?

difference with ubuntu-keyring package in Ubuntu

  • Binary package name is "ubuntu-archive-keyring", not "ubuntu-keyring". It's better to use "foobar-archive-keyring" for packages, same as debian-archive-keyring.
  • No udebs. Probably we don't need it.


Comments